Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it --George Bernard Shaw


Disclaimer:



All work on this site, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license. This kind of license is also referred to as copyleft.
For questions, you can contact me here: wakeuppakistan[at]gmail[dot]com.





My Life:
IslamiCast.blogspot.com
My Fotolog


Links:

[x] - updated in the last 48 hours.


Recent Posts:


Archives: [+/-]


Recent Reads:

Programming in Objective-C



Cocoa Programming for Mac OSX



Google Wakeup Pakistan:
Google

WWW
Wakeup Pakistan


Powered by Blogger

RSS 2.0
Get iPodder!
Get iPodderX!
Get Doppler!
Get nimiq!
Get Firefox!
Latest Joy of Tech
Joy of Tech
Love an apple!

What is in the box below? The box contains the RSS Feed for podcatchers. Its just garbage code.

 
Monday, February 05, 2007
Hi (an email conversation) - Part I

I recently was engaged in an email conversation with a (new) friend from the neighboring country - India. Her name is Natasha and she decided to contact me with few questions after going through my blog. I am posting our conversation below, in parts due to its length, without making any changes to the original content - except for correcting the typos (in red). As always, contact me for further clarification.

Hi,
i accidentally came across your blog and after reading it I felt that I had to ask you certain things. We are a world apart although we are hardly some hundred kms apart. So I believe our views will be very different.
I am actually mailing you because I was a little confused. First, why are you against foreign songs and movies (esp.Indian), what is un Islamic about liking Indian or any other foreign movies or songs. Second, why are you so judgmental? And third, why are you contradicting yourself? You talk with genuine hatred about people havin amreekan accent and english and western culture. But, you write ur blog in english and I must say good english, you actually have a post which has the lyrics of IRIS...... I am confused..... Would like to know what are actually your views??? And how many of these do you stick to....
Oh, Congrats on your wedding!!!!!
Awaiting a reply from your end.

--
Warm Regards,
Natasha


My reply:

Natasha,
I am glad to see that you took the time to contact me and understand
my point of view. Natasha, I have nothing against Indians, Americans,
or for that matter any other culture or religion. As a matter of fact,
I have friends from all over the world, including Jews, Christians,
Hindus, Muslims, Indians, Palestinians, Israelis, etc. You ask why am
I contradicting my own thought process and beliefs? May be, I am just
not good at writing this, but my problem is with people who just
blindly copy. Simply put, we have become a nation of followers then
leaders that we ought to be. Our civilizations (yours and mine) were
centuries ahead from the rest of the world. And rather than producing
scientists and mathematicians, now all we produce is dancers and
actors who lack creativity on all fronts.

You asked me that I write perfect English, yet I am sort of against
the use of it. Actually, I am not! Surprised. Well it's simple. I use
English, because I have command over the language unlike most folks
who are again just copying or just following what they are taught.
Even if I assume that the entire nation has gained command over the
language, still I believe that we should still try to protect our
cultural values. The fusion of both cultures, and I mean a true
fusion, where we also have to offer something, rather then just
copying, would only bring a great future.

I hope this clears things up. Please let me know if you don't feel
satisfied by my answer.

Sincerely,

Some Desi


Second part of this post coming soon but I would love to see your comments.



Site created by Some Desi